Information for Applicants
The scholarship program is for students from Africa, Asia, Oceania, Latin America and Eastern Europe who wish to undertake studies at a University or Catholic College in Germany.
The aim of their stay in Germany is to acquire a Licentiate or a doctorate in theology, philosophy, canon law or related fields.
Candidates for the program must
- be able to demonstrate excellent academic achievement (e.g. grades, exam scores),
- have an elementary knowledge of German,
- declare their willingness to return to their local churches.
- A monthly stipend of 1000 € (minus any personal contributions or donations)
- An introduction to the social and religious situation in Germany
- A German language course for six months, if necessary
- Regular meetings in student groups, which are led by tutors
- Academic advisory and guidance services by an academic board which supports students in the course of their studies
- Annual meeting of all scholarship recipients and multi-day educational events
- Possibilities for spiritual renewal and recreation
As a rule, the duration of the scholarship (without the preparatory course) is
- 2 years for a Licentiate
- 3 years for doctoral studies.
In exceptional cases, an extension is possible.
The academic support usually begins each year on October 1st.
German study places (Universities and Catholic Colleges) at a glance can be found on the following Website: Katholische-Theologie.info.
An application should be submitted to the scholarship providers by 31 March of the academic year. Please inform yourself about eligibility requirements and application procedures by the homepage of the respective scholarship provider.
Please note: A direct application at the scholarship program/Institute for Global Church and Mission (IWM) is not possible!